Passages from Finnegans Wake (1965)
- 1965, B&W
- Directed by Mary Ellen Bute
Screenplay by Mary Manning
Cinematography by Ted Nemeth
Music by Elliot Kaplan
- Cast (in alphabetical order)
- Ray Flanagan . . .Young Shem
- Peter Haskell . . . Shem
Page Johnson . . . Shaun
Martin J. Kelley . . . Finnegan
Jane Reilly . . . Anna Livia
There are currently no copies of this film availabe on VHS or DVD; but a 16 mm print is available for museums, universities, and Joycean institutions. Contact Mrs. Cecile Starr at (802) 863-6904; rental is $180.
- Unbelievably, Leonard Maltin reviewed Passages in his video guide, and wrote this rather amusing summary:
- Finnegan's Wake (1965) 97 m ***1/2 D: Mary Ellen Bute. Stars: Page Johnson, Martin J Kelly, Jane Reilly, Peter Haskell. James Joyce's classic story of Irish tavern-keeper who dreams of attending his own wake is brought to the screen with great energy and control.
- IMDB's "Finnegans Wake" Page -- The Internet Movie Database's page on Finnegans Wake.
--Allen B. Ruch
12 June 2003
BLOOM: (His eyes closing, quails expectantly.) Here? (He squirms.) Again! (He pants cringing.) I love the danger. -- Send email to the Great Quail -- comments, suggestions, corrections, criticisms, submissions . . . all are welcome!
Return to the Joyce Film Page.